Adobe house built by F. Walker of the Willows
and 1912 Overland car. Photo donated by
Don Walker, Jr., from The Willows Collection.
Each year the Alpine Historical Society strives to update its exhibits and to prepare a special exhibition in time for the annual Alpine History Day celebration.
This year the exhibit will be on farming in Alpine in the early days of the settlement and through the years. A very special part of the exhibit will be the five pieces of farm equipment donated recently by Don Walker, Jr., a descendent of the Walker family that owned one of Alpine's most famous resorts, The Willows.
Two years ago an exhibit pertaining to beekeeping in Alpine was prepared and has been a hit with both children and adults. Alpine was home to John S. Harbison, one of California's leading beekeepers. The exhibit includes a replica of The Harbison Hive which was widely used in the late 1800's. Many other beekeeping treasures were donated by Gage Skinner and remain a part of this display. The new farm display will integrate some of the beekeeping favorites.
The school display, in the Dr. Nichols House, is being updated and will be ready for the celebration in June. Several old school desks are on display in addition to documents pertaining to the schools of Alpine.
Be sure to visit the Society the first Saturday in June for the annual Alpine History Day Celebration!